5 Spice Spare Ribs
These are my very favourite spare ribs, a meal in themselves. Make sure to have a water bowl and lemon handy to keep your fingers clean - a face cloth is a good idea, too.
1) Cut each spare rib in half with a large chinese chopper (or ask the butcher to do it for you).
2) Place the spare ribs in a large bowl. Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the ribs, stirring well. Cover with the marinade overnight. Drain when ready to cook, reserving the marinade.
3) Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the spare ribs in small amounts, so that they seal well. Place the sealed ribs in a large pot with the marinade. Cook, covered with a lid, over a medium heat until the meat on the ribs becomes tender (45 minute - 1 hour).
4) Remove the lid, add the honey and reduce the sauce a little so that it becomes a little thicker and glazes the ribs.
5) Arrange on a heated platter, sprinkled with the chopped spring onion, and serve.
Now here's a video of me showing how to do it....